Seven more bodies exhumed, 54 body parts recovered in Kwa Binzaro, Kilifi

Seven more bodies exhumed, 54 body parts recovered in Kwa Binzaro, Kilifi
Workers carry a body bag to the mortuary after exhuming bodies at the mass-grave site in Shakahola, Kilifi County on April 25, 2023. PHOTO/AFP
In Summary

So far, 32 bodies have been exhumed from the site over six days. The pathologist confirmed that the exhumation and recovery exercise will continue in the coming days to ensure all remains are properly documented and analyzed.

Seven more bodies have been exhumed and 54 body parts recovered at Kwa Binzaro village in Kilifi County, as the grim search for victims linked to suspected religious extremism entered its sixth day.

Government pathologist Richard Njoroge, who is leading the forensic team, said the condition of the newly exhumed remains suggested they had been buried more recently compared to those recovered earlier.

He added that some of the body parts appeared to have been disturbed and scattered by wild animals.

“We have noted that at this particular site the bodies look a bit fresh. They are not fully skeletonized and like last week. The bodies we exhumed last week were full skeletons with no flesh. But the bodies we found here look to have been buried a few months or weeks ago,” Njoroge said on Thursday.

He further explained that only a few of the bodies had clothes, while most were naked, and that the remains collected from different points in the forest would undergo DNA testing.


“We have recovered seven bodies and also collected 54 body parts, which are spread over distances away from the graves. They look like they have been excavated and eaten by wild animals,” he said.

So far, 32 bodies have been exhumed from the site over six days. The pathologist confirmed that the exhumation and recovery exercise will continue in the coming days to ensure all remains are properly documented and analyzed.

Human rights activists who visited the site expressed concern about the ongoing discoveries and urged authorities to guarantee the safety of residents who may hold vital information about the killings.

“This is a clear indication that this act is still active and a proactive measure needs to be employed by the government and the stakeholders so that we can have this disaster managed,” activist Walid Sketty said.

The exhumations continue to expose disturbing burial patterns, with remains found both in shallow graves and scattered across the forest. Authorities say the discoveries point to an organized and ongoing crime that requires urgent intervention.

Officials have assured the public that both county and national agencies are working together to manage the recovery process, safeguard communities, and support affected families. They also called for vigilance and cooperation from locals as investigations into the suspected extremist activities progress.

Join the Conversation

Enjoyed this story? Share it with a friend:

Stay Bold. Stay Informed.
Be the first to know about Kenya's breaking stories and exclusive updates. Tap 'Yes, Thanks' and never miss a moment of bold insights from Radio Generation Kenya.