UN Chief backs Kenya’s push for Haiti security mission support

UN Chief backs Kenya’s push for Haiti security mission support
United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres speaking during a media briefing in 2021. PHOTO/Al Jazeera
In Summary

Speaking to the UN Security Council on Thursday, Antonio Guterres said protecting and expanding fragile gains in Haiti requires “decisive and coordinated international security support.”

The United Nations Secretary-General has endorsed Kenya’s push for a UN office to provide logistical and operational support to the Multinational Security Support (MSS) mission in Haiti.

Speaking to the UN Security Council on Thursday, Antonio Guterres said protecting and expanding fragile gains in Haiti requires “decisive and coordinated international security support.”

Guterres emphasized that international backing is essential to strengthen national efforts, safeguard the population, and create conditions for a return to the rule of law and credible, inclusive elections.

“I welcome efforts by members of this council to advance my February 24 proposal to strengthen the Multinational Security Support mission through UN logistical and operational support,” he added.

The UN chief’s remarks reinforce President William Ruto’s call for a support office to assist the Kenya-led mission.

During a phone conversation with US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on August 19, Ruto noted their agreement on the need for a UN resolution establishing a support office to help stabilise and secure Haiti.

Kenya initially sought to convert the mission into a full UN peacekeeping operation, but the plan did not materialize.

In February, Guterres proposed instead a UN support mission funded through the UN peacekeeping budget.

“Such a transition could be considered once significant progress has been made in substantially reducing gang territorial control. A realistic option is based on a dual-track strategy, with the United Nations assuming new roles to enable the MSS, the national police and Haitian authorities, to substantially reduce gang territorial control through peace enforcement,” he said.

He added that this transition would require a robust mandate allowing the use of force and targeted operations against gangs. However, the Kenya-led mission has faced operational challenges due to insufficient funding and resources.

To address this, Kenya and six other countries including the US, Canada, El Salvador, Guatemala, Bahamas, and Jamaica have petitioned the UN Security Council for increased support.

The US is reportedly preparing a resolution to fund anti-gang operations in Port-au-Prince, in line with Guterres’ recommendations.

A $2.6 billion three-year roadmap to stabilise Haiti is also under discussion.

Earlier this month, National Security deputy adviser Joseph Boinnet visited Haiti, reaffirming Kenya’s commitment to the mission.

Boinnet noted that the mission requires additional resources to overcome operational hurdles.

Guterres further highlighted that security measures must be paired with greater pressure on those fuelling the violence.

Join the Conversation

Enjoyed this story? Share it with a friend:

Stay Bold. Stay Informed.
Be the first to know about Kenya's breaking stories and exclusive updates. Tap 'Yes, Thanks' and never miss a moment of bold insights from Radio Generation Kenya.