Governor Khalif calls for respect of Kenyan sovereignty following border clashes

According to Governor Khalif, some of the combatants had been hosted within the Kenyan territory.
Mandera Governor Mohamed Adan Khalif has condemned the cross-border clashes between the Somali National Army and Jubaland forces that spilled into Kenyan territory.
He said the conflict has disrupted lives and threatens the security of residents in the frontier county on Friday.
The fighting, which erupted near the Kenya-Somalia border, forced families to flee their homes and left many displaced.
According to Governor Khalif, some of the combatants had been hosted within the Kenyan territory.
Speaking in Mandera, the Governor described the move as a serious breach of the country’s sovereignty and a danger to its citizens.
“The safety and security of our people is non-negotiable. We call on all actors, local, regional and international, to respect our borders and support peace and stability in the region,” he noted.
Mandera County, which has long been affected by insecurity linked to cross-border militant activity and clan rivalries in neighbouring Somalia, faced fresh humanitarian challenges during the clashes.
Schools were temporarily turned into shelters for internally displaced persons and refugees fleeing the violence.
Khalif extended his gratitude to Kenya’s security agencies for their vigilance, and to humanitarian partners, NGOs, and government bodies that mobilised support for affected families.
“The solidarity displayed during this difficult period is a testament to our resilience as a community,” he said.
The Governor vowed to continue working with both local and international partners to safeguard Mandera residents and ensure that every man, woman and child enjoys peace and stability.
The incident underscores the fragility of the Kenya-Somalia border, where political rivalries in Somalia often spill into Kenyan territory.
This compounds the region’s complex security and humanitarian situation.