KUPPET warns of midterm closures over delayed school funds

KUPPET warns of midterm closures over delayed school funds
KUPPET chairman Omboko Milemba. PHOTO/National Assembly
In Summary

KUPPET officials led by chairman Omboko Milemba said many schools are struggling to stay afloat financially just as students prepare for national examinations.

The Kenya Union of Post-Primary Education Teachers (KUPPET) has raised alarm over delays in the release of capitation funds, warning that schools may be forced to shut down at midterm if the National Treasury does not act urgently.

Speaking in Eldoret, KUPPET officials led by chairman Omboko Milemba said many schools are struggling to stay afloat financially just as students prepare for national examinations.

He reminded the government of its duty to ensure schools operate smoothly without unnecessary disruption.

“Schools have been opened, but remember that last term, the schools were closed earlier because we did not have capitation. Now, one week after opening, we still don’t have the funds. This is the shortest term, which is usually very busy because of examinations, strikes, etc. So we don’t want capitation as an excuse, and that is why we are asking CS Mbadi to send the capitation on time, as early as Monday next week,” Milemba said.

He cautioned that if the money is not released as requested, schools will have no option but to close when learners break for midterm.

On the issue of teacher health cover, KUPPET officials issued a 21-day ultimatum to the government to take action against individuals accused of stealing from the Social Health Authority fund.

They warned that if the culprits are not arrested, teachers will stop remitting their contributions to the scheme.

“We cannot pay the money, and someone else is opening a tab, where he is picking up the money, billions and going away with it. We are giving the minister 21 days to catch the culprits, whom he says he sent the money to. This money was not sent at night; he sent it using a computer line so he could go there, pick up the money, arrest the people and present them before the court,” Milemba stated.

The concerns come just days after schools reopened amid worry from parents and education stakeholders over inadequate funding, which last term forced an early closure.

In response, Education Principal Secretary Belio Kipsang assured that discussions with the National Treasury had taken place to fast-track the release of funds.

“We had a meeting last week with Treasury officials, including the Cabinet Secretary and PS, and we agreed that the top priority for the government this week is disbursement to schools,” Dr. Kipsang said.

Treasury Cabinet Secretary John Mbadi also confirmed that KSh 23 billion will be disbursed to more than 45,000 schools across the country to stabilise learning and prevent further disruption.

Join the Conversation

Enjoyed this story? Share it with a friend:

Stay Bold. Stay Informed.
Be the first to know about Kenya's breaking stories and exclusive updates. Tap 'Yes, Thanks' and never miss a moment of bold insights from Radio Generation Kenya.